OSCE has condemned Kiev’s violence in Mariupol on May 9

By | May 10, 2014

Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) has condemned violence that has erupted in Mariupol on May 9, 2014 said the head of the special OSCE monitoring mission in Ukraine Ertuğrul Apakan.

xb42U3QWQdo

“I strongly condemn the violence, and call upon all parties to exercise maximum restraint and to take immediate steps to de-escalate a situation which has caused the loss of many lives, and created a climate of fear and anxiety,” Apakan stated.

Ukrainian national guard attacked participants in the Victory Day rally on May 9 in Mariupol as locals celebrated 69th anniversary of the defeat of Nazi Germany.

Vitaly Ivanov, a spokesman for the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic, said in an interview with Itar-Tass that 20 civilians had been wounded and ten killed in fire, which the armored vehicles opened.

Massive protests against the new Ukrainian authorities, who were propelled to power in Kiev as a result of a coup in February, erupted in the country’s Russian-speaking southeastern territories after Crimea’s merger with Russia on March 18.

Southeastern Ukrainian protesters, who seek the country’s federalization and demand broader powers for their regions, have seized some of the government buildings in the region.

The Kiev authorities launched the so-called “anti-terrorism operation” in eastern Ukraine. Russia, which does not recognize the de facto Ukrainian leaders, had condemned the operation, apparently aimed to crack down on Ukrainian federalization supporters.

According to Ivanov, Ukrainian national guard opened gunfire on policemen inside the building. Eyewitnesses said the building was riddled with bullets and then set on fire.

 

Leave a Reply